Penrhyn-coch - a village about 4½ miles north of Aberystwyth in the parish of Trefeurig located between the rivers Stewi and Seilo - the two small rivers join to become the Afon Clarach before reaching Gogerddan Mansion and flowing into the sea.
The majority of residents in the area were miners and farmers - and many were employed by the Gogerddan estate. The estate was sold to Aberystwyth University College in 1949; becoming the Welsh Plant Breeding Station, then IBERS which is now part of Aberystwyth University; the village grew suddenly from the late 1960s onwards (population 2020 – 1,336) when there was quite a bit of housing estate construction here - and it is still growing.
There are two shops in the village - one in the Post Office and one in Tŷ Mawr petrol station. St John's Church (1881) is next to the school and Horeb Chapel (Baptist) (1788/9) at the top of the village, past the Penrhyn Hall built in 1960. The football team is famous - and their Social Club (opened 1981) is opposite the school. A new school was built in 1969; it was re-opened in 1980 and an extension was built in 2005. The school serves (ca 100 pupils) the parish of Trefeurig - the villages of Banc-y-darren, Capel Madog, Cefn-llwyd, Cwmerfyn, Cwmsymlog, Salem and Pen-bont Rhydybeddau.
Probably the most famous person associated with the area is Dafydd ap Gwilym - the 14th century poet born in Bro Gynin.
You can read more - and follow what's going on on the Trefeurig website https://trefeurig.cymru